- Subscribe NowLimited Time Offer
Sign Up for the Pittsburgh Business Times Afternoon Edition Newsletter
Send this story to a friend
Business agility a primary goal in outsourcing IT
- Bruce Thompson
E-Safe Technologies did a study of what was driving our customers toward utilizing cloud services in their organizations. Seventy-five percent of the respondents indicated it was business agility.
The ability to get to market faster and increase user satisfaction through agility is taking companies toward the cloud solutions faster than anything that has to do with reducing costs.
There are three different personalities of cloud computing that companies are utilizing to get more agile:
1. Software as a Service (SaaS). The consumer uses the provider’s applications running on a cloud infrastructure.
2. Platform as a Service (PaaS). Application development platforms enable an application authoring and run-time environment.
3. Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). Virtual hardware is made available for varied uses.
Agility is important to achieving key business outcomes. Revenue growth, cost reduction and risk management can all be associated with business agility. More importantly, business agility is a priority to the companies E-Safe supports today. Infrastructure/technology is the primary driver for companies with agile IT, and cloud computing plays a key role in that.
Cloud adoption is the solution to business agility. It offers on-demand, self-service IT; a catalog of apps available to IT users; standardized processes; multiple consumption models; utilization and cost transparency; and better accountability and IT control.
The key to achieving IT agility is customizing your cloud. It is not a “one-cloud-fits-all” approach. You must be able to leverage investment in existing IT resources. Your cloud must be flexible enough to securely use both on- and off-premise resources. Cloud computing is an incremental, not wholesale, change.
Bruce Thompson is vice president of E-Safe Technologies LLC. For more on the company, go to www.e-safetech.com.
If you are commenting using a Facebook account, your profile information may be displayed with your comment depending on your privacy settings. By leaving the 'Post to Facebook' box selected, your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below.
- Most popular
- Movie on former Steelers' death to film in Pittsburgh and star Smith
- Choderwood adds houseboats
- Pittsburgh gains a new headquarters
- Billionaire Scaife dies at 82
- Michael Baker International to make downtown its corporate HQ
- New 15-story hotel in the works next to Duquesne Incline
- Moby, Portugal. The Man to headline Thrival Festival
- Downtown Pittsburgh will be reshaped with investment in Strip
- Top 10: Largest Pittsburgh-area employers
- Ohio workers OK pay cuts, PA workers nix plan
Supervisory Trial Attorney The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission | Miami, FL
Business Development Manager Jaskolski Demolition Services/Steel City Demo | West Elizabeth, PA
Associate Director of Development West Virginia University | Morgantown, WV
Associate Faculty Director and Professor of Business Practice Engineering Management Program - Univ. of Colorado Boulder | Boulder, CO
Account Executive Pittsburgh Business Times | Pittsburgh, PA